FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feedback thread for the official LH Lurker(s), LufthansaGermanAirlines
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:15 am
LufthansaGermanAirlines
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines

Originally Posted by honza
Dear Lurkers,

I have booked a bonus ticket (LH ticketed and confirmed on UA) ITO-LAX-LAS. Unfortunately UA has changed schedule and the ITO-LAX flight was cancelled and I was rebooked automatically on a day later, unfortunately the rebooking was done only on the first segment = after I arrive to LAX, my connecting flight is already over 12 hours away. Ca 10 calls and email to LH call centre - "we can give you money back, but we cannot rebook the second segment for you on a flight where is no bonus class availability".

- I had a similar issue with Czech airlines - bonus ticket, flight schedule of KE changed so that I would miss my connection and Czech airlines rebooked me on another flight without award inventory (KE) (to J class)
- Delta offers rebooking when the schedule change is larger than one hour
- IATA mentions Involuntary rerouting that justify the change of carrier, routing or class of service if flight is cancelled OR does not operate reasonably in accordance with the schedule (my new flight is 25 hours later) OR an airline causes a passenger to miss a connecting flight on which he holds a confirmed reservation - in that case the costs are given to the carrier that caused the flight irregularity.

In my case I do not want to change routing or carrier, I even have agreed to fly one day later (even though I have already booked cars, hotels etc...), but no one is able to help, always the same “no award availability, we try to send it somewhere, call tomorrow”...

Questions :
- Why other airlines are able to support and LH not? Does LH not follow IATA rules?
- Isn’t it unfair, I can not change the booking at all, but airline can just cancel it, move it, change it anytime without a penalty?
- What shall I do next?

Thanks for support, hope this experience helps also others.
Dear honza, I fully understand the frustration that a schedule change brings about. Whereas I can assure you that Lufthansa follows IATA rules, in this particular case the allocation of the award seats are given by UA. If you send me all the booking details with the ticket number per PM, I will gladly look into it and see whether I will be able to assist in any way.

Best regards, Isabell