FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:28 am
quank

Originally Posted by Jigger

1. Which is more valuable RBC Avion points or Aeroplan Points
I have a rather large purchase coming up and can choose between the 2

2. Can someone here please post a primer on how to move points from one provider to another?

3. Should I be getting an Esso card? If so why?

4. Any other loyalty cards you can recommend?

Thanks for your posts and help
Jigger
1) Depends on what you're redeeming for. There are various threads that try to value an Aeroplan point. If you can book mini-round-the-world flights, your Aeroplan points are worth more - however, these require a lot of research and availability can be an issue if you're on a schedule. Avion is much easier to redeem and the flights purchased by RBC are status-earning flights.

2) Some programs allow you to do it on their websites or through their customer service. Points.com is also an option. In general, you'll lose some value due to transferring to another program; in other instances it's just a bad idea since the value lost is so high. That is why it's important know that your end game will leave you better off vs. just transferring from one program to another (you'll generally lose).

3) The point of the thread is to move from Aeroplan to AAdvantage. EssoExtra is needed to do that. If you don't want to do this, then there is no need for you to get an EssoExtra card.

4) This is a very general question that I'm not sure how to answer. You can have hundreds of cards if you want (since they're generally free). I generally just have cards where I shop often or have use to me.