FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:51 am
USirritated

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by groobie
Or turn them into a dress and wear it to the Oscars.
LOL....calling Lady GaGa!

Originally Posted by 9809JD
The few things that "stood out" to me where the increase in points for arrival gift at CY to 400 points in US/Canada. As posted earlier, nice - but why not the more expensive international properties? (and seriously, still no points on incidentals at Courtyard?!)

It also has been officially communicated that platinum elites have free access to the "premium" internet service at all the mid-range brands that are now offering tiered internet (don't remember that being "official" before)
The 400 points for CY is certainly welcome, but are they leaving the other chains at the same welcome gift level? It makes you wonder why they don't increase all or most of them. I always thought it was a bit cheap to only give 200 or 250 points for the other brands, especially where the rates are similar to or only slightly less than FS properties.

I know the answer on the tiered internet. Some of the select service and lower brands started offering the tiered Internet service, and there were complaints to both the properties and to MI, first because it was confusing, especially to elites; second because having two or more levels of connection speed was not officially sanctioned by MI; and third, because the lower tiers were too slow for many Internet sites and for doing business. MI would probably prefer that tiered Internet go away, but for older management and franchise agreements, MI does not have much of a choice, and for future management and franchise agreements, there will probably be a prohibition on tiered Internet service.