FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:01 pm
CloudCoder

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
You paid for a coach ticket and got a coach seat. Yes, it sucks to lose your upgrade, but IMO no compensation is due. Upgrades are nice when you get 'em, but you cannot expect to be reimbursed when you do NOT get an upgrade (or even when an upgrade is rescinded) and you end up flying in the class for which you paid.
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
OK, I will make the first 2013 post and am asking for input from everyone out there. Despite how much I really travel this is the first time I truly got screwed over by a cancellation. Normally I leave myself enough lead time to avoid this mess.

I got called from my job to fly to West Palm Beach to replace a sick co worker for the next day. They purchased a flight that was occurring four hours later. I put the upgrade request in (got it for both legs). The flight was from SAN to DFW to PBI.

The 1400 flight from SAN was slid to 1830 due to maintenance - ensuring ill never make my connecting the flight. Barbara M (a wonderful AAngel at the Admirals Club) just through hoops to and rolls me to the next flight before I even get off the plane. By the time I reached the AC she had several options for me - none however, getting me to PBI in time. I was rebooked in F class to DFW to ATL then Y class on delta into PBI the following morning.

Got to DFW but was told they would have to cancel the work I needed to do in PBI because I wouldn't make it in time. Unfortunately, I had hotel reservations now too late to cancel in PBI.

They wound up RONing me in DFW and provided me vouchers for a hotel and food and booked me on a flight the next morning. In coach. Q class. I was provided seat 8D. Just checked in and my seat was given away - sticking me in seat in the middle back near the toilet.

I never asked for compensation before but a little ticked I had my seat reassigned. Plus I lost money on the no show at the hotel plus the cancelled work evolution that I was intended to cover.

Thoughts?