FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Partner EQM award changes (UA quietly changed some partner Y/B fares 150%->100%)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:01 pm
UA Insider
Company Representative, United Airlines

Partner PQM/PQS Update

Hi Everyone, I’m sorry we are late to post on this particular topic. Typically, we would have given you a heads up on a change like this, and I apologize for that.

This past week, on Jan. 1, we adjusted the Premier qualifying mile (PQM) and Premier qualifying segment (PQS) accrual percentages for certain premium cabin and full-fare economy class fares on select Star Alliance member carriers. Before going into the specifics of the change, I’d like to offer some background on it. In March 2012, when we migrated to a single system, we unintentionally increased PQM and PQS earnings for some of our partners to our former OnePass levels, instead of taking them to their intended MileagePlus levels.

While these higher earning levels remained in effect for the remainder of 2012, we are now reinstating the PQM/PQS earning rates for the following carriers and fare classes to 100% as of Jan. 1, 2013:
  • Air New Zealand (NZ): A, B, C, D, E, J, O, U,Y, Z
  • Asiana (OZ): A, B, C, D, F, J, Y, Z
  • Croatia Airlines (OU): A, B, C, D, F, Y, Z
  • Egyptair (MS): A, B, C, D, F, J, Y, Z
  • LOT (LO): A, C, D, P, Z
  • Singapore (SQ): A, C, D, F, J, P, R, S, Y, Z
  • South African (SA): B, C, D, H, J, K, M, Q, S, Y, Z
  • TAM (JJ): A, B, C, D, F, J , Y, Z
  • TAP (TP): B, C, D, J, Y, Z
  • THAI (TG): A, B, C, D, F, J, P, U, Y, Z
  • Turkish (TK): C, D
We realize that some of you booked flights on these partners prior to Jan. 1 and were expecting the higher PQM/PQS earnings. In this particular case, given the circumstances, we will honor the higher rates regardless of your travel date. There are a few complexities involved with posting miles at the higher rates, so please bear with us. Specifically, if you booked your ticket through United, we will proactively adjust amounts after their initial posting (typically within a few days of when the original flight is credited). However, if you booked through someone other than United (like another airline or travel agency), you will have to contact the MileagePlus Service Center after your miles have initially posted in order to make the adjustment.

Also, worth noting, there are still several Star Alliance partners which earn 150% PQM/PQS on select fares, including Copa (CM), Air Canada (AC), ANA (NH), Austrian (OS), Brussels (SN), Lufthansa (LH), SAS (SK), SWISS (LX) and US Airways (US).

Thanks for the opportunity to share these details. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines

Last edited by UA Insider; Jan 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm Reason: added OZ to list of changes