FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Customer Compensation Thread 2013
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:51 am
geofflaredo

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
Compensation for downgraded service, cancellations, etc.

12/21 IAD-NRT, last minute substitution of an old 777 for a new one. In C, so barcalounger instead of lie-flats. Perfectly nice flight, good service, etc but this product cannot compete with UA's own better planes and everyone else flying to Asia in new/upgraded metal. Sent a note to customer service via website saying so. Got a nice reply, with the offer of a credit or miles, as we've discussed previously on this board. FYI it's possible that my note wasn't even read, though - wife got same email/offer and she didn't send a note to CS.

1/2 NRT-IAD UA 804 cancelled. got an email approx one day early with notification. UA had rerouted me, but the flights they put me on were actually physically impossible to achieve. after 45 minutes on phone, arranged the only itin they would give me to keep me in C (on the long leg), NRT-SEA-IAD. So, instead of a lie-flat 777 12 hour trip, it was a barcalounger, long layover, sit in Y (at least there was an exit row seat left for me) 17 hour trip. Perfectly fine service but not what I expected/think i paid for. so, questions:
1) used miles and copay on these itins. for return leg, am i entitled to any mile or dollar refund? I paid for upgrade for a nonstop all the way home in C, and didn't get that.
2) regardless of answer to above, what if any compensation might you request for the change in return?

thanks for any thoughts.