FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Cargo Pet Debacle - what to do?
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:44 am
jeff30189

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Delta Cargo Pet Debacle - what to do?

I was moving permanently from Phoenix to Rochester, NY and needed to ship a cat so that she was out of the house before the movers showed up and I drove cross country with the car.

I contacted Delta Cargo a week in advance to make a reservation. It took 2 different calls (the first person was not knowledgable about the minimum connect times) but I managed to get a confirmed booking (with a reference number) for a Sunday evening redeye thru Atlanta that would show up around 11AM in Rochester. Perfect!

I got all my documentation together, had all the required exams and hardware, and set out to the cargo office at the directed 2+ hours in advance of the flight. Here's where it all falls apart.

The Delta Cargo office was closed, and in fact closes at 4PM on Sunday. I called the Diamond desk to ask what to do and was told (after a consultation with a supervisor) to simply take the cat to the passenger terminal and they would handle it there. Slight inconvenience, but it seemed reasonable.

Got to the passenger terminal and went thru successive rounds of frustration. The agent had no idea what to do. The Red Coat (further proving that they are pretty much a useless waste of money) had no idea what to do. The Ramp Supervisor understood the dilemma and at least tried to find the paperwork necessary to book the pet shipment. All TEN (10) agents who were idling standing around had no idea what to d.

In the end, they refused to take the pet. I explained that I was physically moving the next morning, that Delta had taken the booking and I had a reference number to prove it. Refusing to honor it was not an option for me as it would delay the movers and cost me money. Still nothing but blank stares and hollow apologies.

I had to go back in the morning to the cargo office and do it all over again. I'm livid that Delta Cargo could be so incompetant as to take a shipping request and issue a reference number without telling me that the office would be closed at the time I was to drop it off. But then again... it is Delta... of the infamously broken reservation systems and fubar'd skypesos award calendar.

My question: it's all still Delta, it all eventually rolls uphill to Richard Anderson, what is the best way to pursue this issue with any hope of getting acknowledgement of the error and a sincere apology? I dont want Skypesos, I already have 800K of the useless things.