FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestion: Aer Lingus Forum?
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:03 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Does this post represent TB's views on polls? For a long time, TB has not been in favour of public votes because you don't get as good quality information about what the members are thinking from a poll as from a thread. Has that situation changed?
I assume that this question was directed at me and not JDiver. I don't speak for other TB members and indeed, I haven't discussed this issue with anyone, nor am I aware of any such discussion among TB members. As I see it, it's easy now to create and post a poll, which certainly conveys some information--even if not perfect or a representative scientific sample--if the questions are posed carefully. Indeed, lack of response to a poll that has been "stickied" for a while in the appropriate forum can itself be somewhat informative. These are my personal opinions; I am not attempting to speak for my TB colleagues.

My post was an attempt to clarify the issues (while noting that I haven't yet taken a position on this issue) and suggest to the OP some things that could perhaps make for a more convincing suggestion without requiring a huge investment of time by the OP before posting a suggestion here.

I also suggested that it could be helpful to have the support of some FTers who would presumably be active on the new forum, such as those who already are big contributors to Aer Lingus discussions in threads in the existing fora. Another potential consideration in my mind would be the possible support for the proposed change by relevant fora moderators, but when I checked, it appeared that the current other European airlines forum doesn't have any assigned moderators. If there are moderators with expertise in the area or some that are especially familiar with the existing other European airlines forum, of course their opinions would be very valuable to the discussion of this issue.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm