FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:31 am
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Checking into the Hotel MacDonald yesterday, I'm just besides myself.

I talked with Angela multiple times, and contacted the executive office plenty of time prior to our arrival to ensure Hotel MacDonald got the reservation right.

I've even early checked-in online, and ensured preferences were clearly stated on the profile.

Both my wife and I are platinum members, plus we knew a past executive at the hotel, and still when we checked in, they not only ignored our requests, but gave us a room that we regarded the lowest in the category. We asked to be switched out of the room to another, and was shown lower categories that just didn't fit the bill. There was no guarantee if we stayed the night, that the manager would move us to another room for the balance of the stay. In fact, after talking to the front desk, we got the impression that the hotel selected and knowingly ignored any loyalty, preferences, and contact we've had with the hotel prior to our arrival. Contact prior to arrival would have prevented us from arriving and having to experience a late night check-in ordeal. At least we could have deleted the plans off of our itinerary, as we have a 7 year old and 3 year old travelling with us.

We walked away from the reservation and drove 3 hours back to Calgary. We ended up cancelling a 7 person Empire Sunday Brunch reservation, and New Years Eve supper. I've lost all confidence with this hotel to get the reservation right for now. I'm not sure how I'll ever bring myself to trust this hotel to get it right.

With the amount we spend, and the 10+ years and 15 or so stays we've frequented at this hotel, I have to honestly say that this hotel needs some competent management. Hopefully the new General Manager that they are bringing in late January will help the hotel. We like to spend money at Fairmonts, in fact on our profiles last year and year and this year we are in the 50 to 55 night range. My hope is that our future stays at other Fairmonts will improve. When we spend the tens of thousands we do at Fairmonts, we want to feel that our business is valued.

We are considering a 5 week stay in HI over the summer. With the recent experiences of Fairmont lately, I'm considering Hyatt as a possibility. We've got a 3 week vacation to Orlando happening over spring break, and there are no Fairmonts there, so my eyes are open to other loyalty program opportunities.

Thanks for hearing out my recent experience at this hotel.