FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Delta Miles, Virgin Australia to New Zealand, Queenstown, Sydney, with Pictures
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:57 pm
Bikeguy

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Arrival at Christchurch threw me a little. Ended up with a young female immigration agent, who thought going to New Zealand for 3 days was highly suspicious. After the incredible service both coming over and arriving in Melbourne, as well as the lack of sleep, I was totally thrown. We were flagged for secondary screening, which ended up being a blessing. I had sliced and put an apple in my bag in Michigan, or so I thought. However, I couldn’t remember eating the apple, but had been traveling for close to 2 days now, including 10 hours in LA and 9 hours in MEL. When directed to secondary screening, I double check my bag and the apple is still not there. However, my wife pulls the apple out of her carry-on, along with an orange she picked up at the club in Melbourne. We are already past the amnesty bin and they let us know we can be fined $400. I’m flustered because I’m asked to pull out my itinerary again and reexplain why I am coming to New Zealand for 3 days. An older agent comes over and tells us it’s our lucky day and that the younger agent has decided to not charge us the $400 fine. I was really put off by the whole experience and was anxious to get the rental car and get to the hotel, as it was past midnight and I was dragging. After a good night sleep, I was grateful and realized the agents were doing their job. I know part of my impatience was a lack of sleep and pictures of the line at the rental car counter being really long, as none of the rental car places either had a fast break type of arrangement in CHC, or cars in inventory to rent. Hopefully, I’ll get less tense the next time it happens.