FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 2:48 am
Tiki

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by HikerT
To get a free one-way on US you need to add a segment you don't plan to fly. The segments you plan to fly technically violate the award rules, but you can trick it to make it work assuming you don't check your bags. I didn't say it was unethical, just that it pushes boundaries, similar to applying for an expired citi AA or the US chairman's offer. You don't technically qualify, but you can trick it to make it work. With the free one-way you're even taking award space out of inventory for the segment you don't plan to fly.
This is the part I don't like. It's hard enough to get award space on some airlines as it is, we don't need people just wasting them. It reminds me of the people who book 20 Pointbreaks nights when they don't know what date they want, then cancel the ones they don't want but it shuts others out of booking the nights. At the very least, it's selfish.

I know I am in the minority, but as an expat American, I can't make the minimum spend as easily as Statesiders. I can't just walk into a drugstore and buy VRs for example so minimum spends are a huge issue for me. Also, I may have issues with forex fees unless I am planning to buy something in USD like a cruise or prepaid hotels. I do want to know about various options such as on the Citibank AA cards thread.

I wish someone would start a blog for expats!