FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a thing called "Japanese claustrophobia"?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:12 pm
robyng
In memoriam

Originally Posted by jib71
Had some groceries delivered on Sunday. Monday morning discovered a mango that was bruised to bits. Hardly surprising, since it was thrown willy-nilly in a bag and driven around London.

"Why wasn't it wrapped in a foam mesh?" asks Mrs. jib.
"Because all that packaging is not eco-friendly" says I.
"How is it eco-friendly to needlessly ruin fruit?"
"I don't know. Maybe because it will discourage us from ordering mangoes."
You can order your mangoes not ripe and then ripen them at home. Of course - that would never pass muster in terms of high end fruit in Japan . When mangoes are in season here in Florida - they're like 5-10 for $1 at the store (and - if you live in south Florida - your friends will beg you to take them for free since they all get ripe at about the same time). The wrapping you're talking about would be more expensive than the fruit.

BTW - I thought the wrapping in Japan was really extraordinary. Everything from a bottle of gin to some small gifts I bought (like chopstick holders) to some things our hotels gave us as gifts. Very impressive visually - but sometimes more than a bit wasteful when it came to the everyday stuff (like the gin). As a visitor though - I loved it. Robyn