FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice and miles strategy for international adoption travel
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:37 pm
jumpmonger23

Originally Posted by Happy
You need Chase' Ultimate Reward for the UA miles and AMEX Membership Reward for the Delta miles. Both programs are 1:1 transfer with occasionally bonus offers on the AMEX to Delta (not in 2012 but plentiful in 2011.)

Chase is your UA miles source - so you would need to get UA card, Sapphire Preferred and Ink cards - that would get you close enough to the 160K needed - you will NOT be able to do canceling and repeating - this is not 3 or 4 years ago environment. So in the case you are still in the mindset of that period, you would need to adjust - they are in the most part, one shot deals for the majority of folks. Though with Ink you can have 2 versions of it, therefore double your bonus by 2 to 50Kx2.
Originally Posted by DL172
If you need help meeting these spends, check the thread labeled "getting spend up without the mint" alternatively PM me.

Anyway for United points, I suggest the following methods for both you and your wife:

Chase INK Bold & Chase INK Plus each card with 5k spend nets you 50k points, so you and your wife with 20k spending could net 220k (200k signup bonus + 20k regular points) Ultimate reward points, which are directly transferable to United.

The other card you would be interested in is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card (which I signed up and was approved for today). This card will net you each 43k (40k bonus + 3k regular) ultimate reward points after 3k in spending.

With those methods you will net 306k united points.
Thanks for the tips on United, that was the program I was leaning towards since we have about 15k of those right now.

Really appreciate the quick feedback!