FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:36 am
belynch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Who: I work in the energy sector. Got a buy-out and left my employer of 9 years in Aug and transitioned to working with a new market entrant.

When: I'll requal for 1k on Dec. 30th. Travel was down this year taking a few months off when my son was born and then the job change. UA's inability to maintain a schedule over the summer also had me flying more and more DL and US (no 500 mile mins. killed me).

How: Never done a MR and never plan on doing one. 95% business travel and the rest personal.

Where: Was commuting to SFO with the last job. That got old quick but the destination was nice. Now I just travel to places I have no desire to go to. DTW, SBN, ABQ, DEN, etc. Almost exclusively domestic travel.

Why: Maintaining status obviously has benefits for a frequent traveler. I do it because it just makes sense based on the requirements of my job. The exotic point usage opportunities will be significantly diminished for a few years, as has the whole appeal of the road warrior lifestyle, now that I have a young child.

What: If things stay status quo I'll do another 125 - 150k work miles next year with one vacation down to SXM with the family. I'm hoping things don't stay status quo.