FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:53 am
qdmd

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
I have a choice of a Jr Suite at this hotel or a room at the Ritz Cayman. Both are about the same price. I've been to the Ritz Cayman before and always wanted to see Aruba. But just curious about this hotel since the reviews are mixed and I wouldn't be against going to something I know is good (Ritz Cayman) if the Westin Aruba is not.

Random Ques:
-How would you rate the hotel? Seems like it's good not great
-Do the beach chairs come with umbrellas or is that an extra charge
-Is water sports included in the resort fee?
-How is the beach?
-Is everything around there safe if you walk around?
I've stayed at the Westin Aruba four times last year only because it's free on points or I pricelined it for $100 bucks. Otherwise it's not worth it. I'd rate the hotel average in comparison to other Westin I've been to....again not worth the regular price. Rooms and facilties are old even the Starwood floor room and carpet is worn down. You have to pay $15-$35 for beach palapa or wait in line starting at 7am for the ones not yet rented. There's no water sports to speak of unless you count the pool. The resort fee pay for internet which is pre-dsl day sluggish. If you're Gold or Plat you get the free hsi that's a lot better but still very slow. The beach is very crowded and the water is very nice and temperature is 85 yearround with zero threat of hurricane. There are many restaurants within walking distance; or simply jump on the cheap bus. Their breakfast buffet suxs for $25 bucks but luckily there are Dunkin Donuts and many places nearby. The island is the safest and have the friendliest people of any of the many carribean islands I've been to. Highly recommend the island.

Yes they charge resort fee on SPG free booking. With the hefty $25 per day for sluggish often dead internet, I assumed it included housekeeping and didn't bother tipping the maid.

Last edited by qdmd; Dec 21, 2012 at 1:03 am