FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:56 pm
USirritated

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
yep. I got 322,500 points from signups in the past 12 months.

yep. I got AA gold lifetime from citibank (and others, I "earned" 1 mil points in 6 months from signups)

not quite. Delta counts CC spending (sort of). UA counts miles flown on their metal only. Hyatt (per recent note from CSR) counts CC spending as base points (not that you'd want to spend $1M on their CC at their 1 point earn rate).
Not everyone has credit quite that good nowadays. Most people would get dinged and turned down for a lot if they made that many applications in such a short period of time, even if they have a 780 credit score! If I understand what you are saying correctly, you must have literally DOZENS of VI, MC, AX, and Discover cards!

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
I never understand this argument (not specific to this poster).

In my mind, this is like saying:

"I've been an Amex member for 75 years and I've spent $50,000 total - that other guy got a Centurion invite and he has only been a customer for 2 years (...with $2M spend)"

or

"I've bought 10 rental properties from you for $50k each over that past ten years - that other guy only bought 2 apartment complexes (for $10M), why are you calling him first with the best foreclosures?"
+1
Great explanation 2tall!