FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a thing called "Japanese claustrophobia"?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:24 am
BuildingMyBento
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Because it's more hygenic that way.
Is that your tongue-in-cheek answer? Then, why aren't shabu shabu and sukiyaki restaurants more hygienic? Why have kaitenzushi when anyone can easily sneeze/cough at/stare at the contents spinning around? Let alone, just turn to the person sitting next to you and do the same that way?

Japan may be considered as one of the more hygienic places to visit, yet I frequently enter restrooms without soap/a way to dry ones hands (yes, I know that people still hand out tissues on the street- but not drying hands is just as baleful)- Look at the showers in the *A NH lounge at NRT, the only soap there is in packets for the shower. Not to mention, if everything is supposedly kept so clean in the country, might it be more difficult to recover once germs are transmitted?

People who are sick that wear masks- as soon as they take their masks off with their bare hands, isn't that a loophole in preventative measures?

Calling it hygienic is a lousy excuse. I'm not worried, nor does it seem are the majority of people are, about being released into the wild of Shinjuku or Otemachi stations even during flu season.