FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Peanuts not served on flight because a passenger had peanut allergy
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:56 am
lovely15

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Please explain exactly how trying to travel with a life threatening allergy to peanuts constitutes "wasn't as responsible about their medical problems" because as it stands, your post is quite offensive to those who must live severe allergies over which they have no control. That's right, when an allergy is that severe, it is out of human control to stop a reaction when you are in contact with the allergen. Allergy shots, Benadryl, other drugs - all pretty much useless with that severe an allergy. The only option is to carry rescue medicines, such as an EpiPen, and pray they buy you enough time to reach a doctor.

Or are you one those who believe that for the convenience of society those with severe allergies should never leave their homes, as has been suggested in other FT posts?
Hey, I don't have diabetes or allergies, so I have no dog in this fight. I'm just calling it as I see it. I do not like my issues affecting others, so if I am in such a situation, YES, I would stay home or take a bus, train, or car, where medical help was readily available for my very serious medical condition. That's the responsible thing to do, and one that keeps your problem your problem and not everyone else's.

I guess I'd ask you, if a diabetic ended up in the hospital because he/she wasn't allowed to eat their nuts on an airplane, would you be as compassionate? I think not.

By the way, AA, and I can't remember where, states that they can't control others passengers from bringing nuts on board, so passengers with several allergies are advised to take precautions. Do other airlines really not have this policy? Seems reasonable to me.