Old Dec 18, 12, 10:00 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tomjoe View Post
This property is my favorite, Starwood or otherwise, in MSP, but they have given me every possible explanation as to what the future may hold; yes, no, maybe so, we don't know, come and go, tally ho! The rates had dropped rather drastically for a Feb. stay, so I hope the points and the stay are intact when I arrive.
My impression is that the staff generally seem upset/demoralized about all the ongoing uncertainty.

I can see that Starwood might have too many upper end properties around Minneapolis: the Ivy (LC), Chambers (was an independent boutique hotel and now LM due to the art connection but could easily be LC too), W, plus good (small, not a convention hotel) Westin downtown and good Westin in the suburbs. All (including an aloft) but Chambers were newly built for the Republican National Convention in 2008. Other brands have expanded, but not so much at the upper end, with IIRC a Marriott Courtyard being renamed as Renaissance (at the Depot) and Hotel Minneapolis (Hilton family something, was a Doubletree but it's a large boutique hotel in a historic building) plus Doubletree Suites (Lux or Luxford, which had been an independent semi-residential hotel). Three independent higher end hotels remain: Nicollet Island Inn (historic, on an island across from downtown), Graves 601 (the former LM) and the Grand (larger four-star boutique hotel in what had been the Minneapolis Athletic Club before major renovations within the last five or ten years). This is a lot of capacity for rooms that should be expensive, although on some nights none of the downtown Starwoods are available for less than about $600 (when the aloft is full), while other nights have multiple choices for well under $100.