FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Doubletree refuses to release $6k in cc authorizations
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:39 pm
ecaarch

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2
I think that you are confusing cash in the bank and credit line. Amex can withdraw the line of credit that they have extended to you at any point for any reason.

It is not uncommon for the hotels to authorize the entire stay + some incidentals plus then a certain amount for each day as they pass.

You could have paid the entire stay up front using the card that you wanted the charge to go and then give another one for incidentals. I think that you are just wasting your time with this. It is up to Amex when they release the authorization.
As I previously noted, I understand the distinction between an "authorization" (or sometimes called a "hold") and a "charge". The timeline clearly articulates what was an authorization and what was a charge, and the information listed is not based on my conjecture but rather on the dates/times/amounts provided by AmEx. After hundreds and hundreds of hotel stays, this ain't my first time at the rodeo.