FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Great use for Avios (yes they are rather useful!)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:31 pm
trueblu

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I made two great use of Avios redemptions today - 4 bookings in total.

Great use 1.

We all know that using Avios for WT is a fairly poor use of Avios.

However, when you are fairly Avios-rich and you are earning them at an alarming rate, and your spouse needs a fully cancellable booking (not unlikely to change dates but may need to be cancelled), and there is no Avios availability in CW or F, and your spouse does not consider that a full fare CW or F is an option, it's a great use.

WT+ may seem better but since the remaining exit row seat is in WT on this particular flight, WT would be better on this occasion, if you have a tall spouse.

Thanks to Avios, I have managed to make 3 fully flexible bookings for him (3 x one-ways).

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Despite my grumps about the loss of multi sector redemptions for the one price. I was looking at a LAN itinerary the other day with the help of the new super look redemption tool.
EZE-LIM then LIM-MIA in Y.....which is comfortable enough for two 5 hour day flights. 22,500 Avios and about $100.
Last minute redemptions are relatively good value, even in WT: but only within the 'Avios relative redemptions' pantheon, as it were. Use of AA miles would probably have cost the same number of miles, but without YQ.

The major advantage of Avios in this regard is if one is not EXP: the AA programme levies a hefty $150 redeposit fee, which is much more than Avios. And non-elites also get dinged for a 'last minute' redemption fee, to mitigate the rising cost of the standard Y fare.

For the SA redemption, again, AA miles would have cost 20k-30k for the same redemption, but without YQ*.

Not disagreeing that these are relatively good value uses for Avios redemptions, but the major value of Avios as a programme per se, compared with other programmes (esp in OW, so no need to change flying patterns) is in short-haul redemptions, reward savers in Europe, and in UUA.

Of course, if one's Avios come from Tesco/LLoyds etc, and not flying, one is tied to the programme.

tb

* not sure if the $100 was YQ or taxes (LAN used to not charge YQ), if taxes, then Avios are fair value here.

Last edited by trueblu; Dec 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm Reason: ETA