FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Charging for "premium" J seats - is this a new thing?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:21 am
norf9

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by krazieman
My SWU just cleared for a DFW-NRT flight. There are still quite a few seats available in J. However, it appears the isle seats have a $14 extra fee associated with them. However, I'm unable to select them still.

Is this something new?
What date/flight number? I want to do a test booking and see if they try to charge me.

Originally Posted by swag
It's incomprehensible to me that someone could pay the thousands of dollar differential to fly J instead of Y, yet be unwilling to cough up another $14 for the seat of their choice. And even upgraders, whether by SWU or miles + copay, $14 seems trivial for such a long flight.
Yes, but I think the reasoning is that some people don't care where they sit at all and a nominal charge frees up the seat assignment for those who do. Also, elites don't get charged the fee, so it's more or less a win win for the airline. Of course I always thought the logic behind what AA calls it's preferred seats was a little off but that's probably OT for the thread.