FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:26 pm
BuildingMyBento
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Quite fond of this 'un:

While teaching in Jakarta, I wanted to go to Timor-Leste. I wasn't too familiar with immigration policies what with having a residence permit, assuming only that I had to pay KITAS (limited-stay permit-esque http://jasa-kitas.com/working-permit-visa-kitas.php) upon departure.

At that point in time, the only place in Indonesia where I could fly non-stop to Dili was Denpasar (Bali). I flew out the night before, no issues. The next day, I check-in at the Merpati (MZ) counters, then proceed to pay KITAS (which at the time was US$150, I think? or $100) I go up to the immigration counter, and get admonished for not having a re-entry permit. Terima kasih, loe! I don't even like Bali, so I (luckily) got a refund for KITAS and flew back with the always-shady Adam Air to Jakarta that afternoon.

A quick visit to the Merpati office in Jakarta somehow ameliorated the issue of having an unused ticket, and I exacted my revenge (upon myself?) by finally making it to Timor Timur a month later. Leading me to add: Vasco da Gama, a decent Portuguese restaurant if you're in Dili.