FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 12 hour layover in MUC. Need suggestions
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:51 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Cars not at the main deutsches museum!

Originally Posted by mediator
I will be arriving in MUC 10am and leave the same day at 10pm in mid-Dec. I plan to explore the city of Munich during the layover. Any suggestions on what places should I go? Here are the places on my list right now:

Deutsches Museum
BMW Welt
Residenz

Do I have enough time to explore all three places? I am traveling solo and I plan to store my carry-on at Kempinski MUC (already reserved a day room there). Thanks!
I agree with the other posters, that all three are too much. Keep in mind that transportation exhibits of the Deutsches Museum are not at the main museum at the downtown Museumsinsel, but at the Verkehrszentrum at Theresienhöhe, a distance away. If your main interest is cars (guessing from your wish to see the BMW Welt), you should head for Theresienhöhe, and not the main Deutsches Museum (I would NOT do both in one day)

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/index...erkehrszentrum

The exhibits are usually open only until 5PM; so go to the museum first. A good plan would be to take the S-Bahn from the airport to Hackerbrücke (the stop before or after Hauptbahnhof (Hbf), depending on whether you take S1 or S8 from the airport), and walk 15 minutes uphill, or get off at Hbf and change to U4/U5 for Schwantalerhöhe (probably more convenient). After seeing the museum, I would take U4/U5 back to Odeonsplatz for seeing the Rezidenz and the downtown Christmas markets. Marienplatz is a bit closer to the markets (and that's where you'll be taking the train back to the airport from), but the change of lines is not worth the extra hassle.

(If you want to go to the main Deutsches Museum on Museumsinsel, Isartor is the S-Bahn station)

As for tickets, the Airport day ticket as mentioned is by far the cheapest and will cover all public transportation needed.

With your busy schedule, I do not really see the need for an expensive day room. There is luggage storage at the airport. If having lounge access in transit, showers could be available there.