FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz rigs fuel gauge to move super slow?!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:13 pm
wlau

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by dwbf11
I can't see how a greeter would even be able to do what you say in the first place. Say the gauge is down 1/8, and reads 7/8, even though you just filled up. There is no way the greeter would even know how much to charge you for that 1/8; they would note it in the system as "not returned full" and then you'd be assessed the charges for what it takes to top the car off.
If you are really a PC member, then I am shocked you haven't figure this out... If you return the vehicle with gas less than when you rented, as noted on the contract, regardless by how much less, then they will BILL YOU BY THE MILES YOU DRIVEN!! The computer calculates this automatically based on return odometer reading.

Hertz had a new policy earlier this year. If your drive less then 25 (or was that 50) miles during your rental, the handheld unit automatically populate the gas is not full field to "yes". The return attendant has to override and many forget to do so (accidentally or intentionally). I did a lot of rental for one day meeting, where my round trip is less than 20 miles and I have seen this happen repeatedly. In fact, one return attendant showed me the handheld screen.

What I am saying is that I've noticed Hertz has tighten up significantly in 2012 regarding gas. They are finding every way to charge you for gas, even though you filled it up. The fact is the fuel charge is buried under many line items and most people don't even notice it, unless you rent enough to know the system, or you are very careful with reading the receipt.