FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Honors T&C 2013 downer: Increase in required points & stays for diamond & gold.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:27 am
fozziedoggie

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Nope there's no such restriction - indeed the Amex Platinum offers status with some hotels (although only a year of HHonors Gold, not recurring) - however it's a pretty small number of cardholders (given it costs £450/year) so nothing like the impact of the cards in the USA. I suspect it's more just the competition between card providers in the States is different - see the new Club Carlson one offering recurrent last night free on redemptions, or the mammoth 100k Avios sign-up bonus - all much better than what's on offer here. In different markets they have to do different things to compete, I just find it a bit annoying how easy it is to potentially get the status through a credit card when that avenue isn't open to me!
Indeed. Too bad Hilton doesn't place pressure on the CC card companies to mirror US perks. Never seen Discover card in the mix, maybe not that widely accepted to be worth partnering with. Perhaps Hilton will one day roll out a program similar to the IHG Ambassador program.