FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Motorsport Tourism?
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:28 pm
ryanthekiwi

Originally Posted by pinniped
My buddies and I keep talking about roadtripping to a deep-South NASCAR race. The harder core, older school, and more redneck the better.

I've attended one NASCAR race, but it was in Kansas - total wine & cheese crowd. We want deep, deep South for this. I don't think the DFW area would quite cut it either. I'm thinking Darlington, Chattanooga, Martinsville, Bristol...one of those. But open to others - bonus if it's in the fall and we can pair it with an SEC football game. (We have no need to watch the Busch race, the truck race, etc.) Again, I'd want that to be in Bama, Mississippi, or Georgia. Maybe Tennessee if the Vols don't suck when we get around to this. No Vandy or anything like that.

Extra bonus if we can play one of the RTJ golf courses in that part of the world...I realize that doesn't jive with the demographic here but it could be a Friday activity nonetheless.

I kind of like the idea of that track that basically looks like a huge football stadium where they do a night race. I think it's a half-mile track and half of the pits on each side of the track. (Martinsville?)

I have a family wedding in Asheville NC on Oct 19/13 and trying to fit in a NASCAR event. I could probably work in one of the following:

Oct 12 Charlotte
Oct 20 Talledaga
Oct 27 Martinsville

It sounds like I would have the same goal as you for the event, the more redneck the better. Which date would be best?