FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to SPG and already disappointed. What to do?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:49 pm
hpvsor

New to SPG and already disappointed. What to do?

Hi all! My wife and I are new SPG member, still just a "preferred guest". I am copying an email I send to customer service and still have not received a reply from either hotel about our experience. We are both unsure about how to proceed from here. Any advice would be appreciated!

Good morning,

We are new members to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program, but actually have been staying at Starwood Hotels for a long time. I just wanted to mention my disappointment with two hotels. Honestly, I am not complaining or expecting anything in return, but I am extremely displeased with my stays.

My wife and I got married on Friday, November 11, 2012. I reserved two nights at the Westin Colonnade Hotel in Coral Gables, Florida for Thursday night, the 10th, and Friday night, the 11th. The first night was for her and her bridesmaids to get ready. The second night was our first night as a married couple. The week before checking in, I spoke with someone from the front desk to have something special prepared for our arrival, after our ceremony. I was told the first night was spectacular - something I have come to expect from Starwood hotels. However, the night I arrived with my wife (the second night), nothing was found in the room. Imagine my disappointment, and that of my wife's, when nothing is in the room when we walk in! I went down to the front desk to see what happened. I was told that a message was written in the front desk book about preparing something for us. The front desk agent saw that the first person I spoke to wrote in the book to prepare some flowers and a VIP welcome basket the night of our wedding. However, nothing was done. The front desk agent told me he would find out what happened and offered two complimentary breakfast coupons. Later, at around 2:00AM, he called and told me that the "do not disturb" sign was on the door so they didn't do anything. I left it at that, as it was late already and I wanted to sleep. I spoke with the maid of honor and she told me that she specifically took of the do not disturb sign because she knew that they were going to come into the room. She knew about this because she came with me the week before to make the arrangements with the first front desk agent. I am just very disappointed with the outcome of our hotel stay on the first night of being married. Worst of all, my wife was disappointed in not seeing anything prepared for her.

The second part, was out stay at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Hotel in Orlando, Floridafor two nights, Saturday and Sunday, the 12 and 13th. This was reserved through the iphone app (in order to take advantage of 500 SPG points that was offered). In the remarks section, I mentioned that we just got married, therefore, to prepare something nice in the room for our arrival. Again, I was hoping to make up for Friday night at the previous hotel. Upon our arrival, again, nothing was prepared for us! I really just wanted some flowers in the room, something, anything, that would make my wife happy - not just an ordinary room. Again, utter disappointment in the hotel. I went down to ask in the front desk and he said that he gave us a King size bed. However, that was exactly what I had requested on the app - therefore, nothing out of the ordinary.

Overall, I am disappointed, mostly because it made me look bad in front of my wife. I just wanted to voice my displeasure and my disconcerted feeling towards Starwood hotels right now. I had one chance, one weeked, two hotels to make it an unforgettable wedding for myself and my wife, and everything was a let down at the hotels. I really expected more from Starwood hotels. I realize that we are not Gold or Platinum members, but I really thought something this simple was easily done. I used to work in the Front Desk at the Hotel Sofitel (your competitor) and I always tried to exceed my guests expectations, much more that just meeting them. I feel like my expectations of Starwood were not even met. I am finding hard to even want to go back to any of those hotels when our anniversary, or any special occasion, comes around.

Regards,