FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel frescoes are now 500 years old
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:32 pm
allset2travel

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sk3
Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel frescoes are now 500 years old, and the subject of recent discussion as to what should be done to preserve them:

From the Guardian, Sepember 29th: Vatican in row over 'drunken tourist herds' destroying Sistine Chapel's majesty

From the BBCNews, October 30th: Sistine Chapel ceiling at 500: The Vatican's dilemma

From Discovery News, November 1st: Sistine Chapel at 500 Years: Threatened by Tourism

I sure hope the Vatican does start to limit the numbers allowed in the Sistine Chapel at any given time. It would be respectful not just to the site itself and to the artwork it contains, but also to the pilgrims and travelers who come from all over just to be in that sacred place and to see Michelangelo's masterpiece.
My bold.
I would be in favor of that too. Many precious sites already have such measure in place. Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper and the Nasrid Palaces in Alhambra come to mind.
Visited the Sistine Chapel 4 times. Most recently last year during "off season". It was wall-to-wall" people. One could hardly move. I managed to snap a few shots inside the chapel. In this trip report, you can see them:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...entures-4.html

Originally Posted by sk3
Just thinking outloud here...
+1.