FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Budget gets some Bad Press in Vancouver...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:42 pm
Guy Betsy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Pity that this article came out the same day I returned my car, to their claim that I had cracked the right bottom front light. Not the main lights, but the smaller light.

On initial inspection, when I walked around - yes, you CANNOT see it unless the lights are on. Which of course I didn't do. And then upon the attendant walkaround - they are not going to mention it...would they?

I didn't take up any of their insurance, and relied on my own ICBC insurance which is $10 a day as opposed to $30 a day with them.

When I returned the car 4 days later, I was advised that there was a crack to the light. I was initially charged $375 for 'deposit' and that the light would cost no more than $50 to repair as it was 'small'. And that the rest would be refunded to me.

Today I checked my creditcard and I was only refunded $75.This was their charge :
Damage Claim: $212.82
Administration Fee: $75
Loss of Use: 1 day/days at Daily rental rate of$(80%) = $12
The total claim charge processed on your credit card is $299.82
Loss of use ??? Boy, they really take the maximum they can, huh?

I have to admit that the car I got, a Volvo S60 was great value at $15 a day, so total I have to say that they only got $300 for the balance. As I've got a low balance on this debit card, doubt they can take any more money out of it !

Although the Budget Rental location downtown is much better in perhaps attitude. I'll just stick with AVIS next time.