FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:29 pm
nwflyboy

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by emptiness
the cvs location i went to, the cashier refused to accept my vanilla gift card to buy VR. Asked me for ID and says there is no name on the visa card, blah blah, asked for manager but wasn't there and she says she is assistant manager. Went out and told her I will complain to the corporate office for refusal of service
No CVS in my state. Lots of Walgreens, though.

About half the Walgreens in my area seem to have VRs in stock, but so far I've found none that would take a credit card for payment (I've probably tried 20 of them), so I was hoping that gift cards would do the trick. It didn't.

I went to Staples today to buy some Visa gift cards. All the $200 cards were out (at all 3 Staples in town) so I just got 2 x $100, since I wanted to test to see if I could use these cards to buy VR at Walgreens. Went to 3 different Walgreens. Was refused for either credit card or prepaid gift card. I tried telling them my Visa gift card was a debit card ("see, it says 'Debit' right there above the Visa logo..."). They said no it's not, cash only, pound sand.

YMMV.