FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Gem of South America: Peru
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:06 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Do the Sacred Valley before Cuzco, to acclimatize?

Since this very interesting thread is attracting interest from folks who have been to Peru, I thought I'd post a question here. In starting to plan my wife's and my trip to Peru for next year, I'm wondering whether we should spend time in Cuzco first (for a few days) or in the Sacred Valley first (for about at week, though no hiking from place to place -just walks and hikes we'll do at specific towns and sites we'll visit, including MP of course).

All things being equal, I think I'd like to do Cuzco first to spend time in the town before being more in the countryside. But since Cuzco is appreciably higher than the Sacred Valley, might it be better to acclimatize by doing the SC first? I'd imagine walking around Cuzco would be easier after a week in the SC. But I'd very much welcome folks' thoughts on this.

FWIW, both my wife are pretty fit, but in our 50's. We've both been hiking in high altitudes before without any ill effects, trekking in Nepal. But that was many years ago and of course the we gradually ascended by walking rather than the sudden leap of flying into Cuzco.

Thanks for any help!