FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The OMNI Exercise Blog...
View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:20 pm
Bear96
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm . . . just posted this in the Who We Are thread, but maybe it is more appropriate here.

I am a distance runner who was sidelined by a running-related injury for the last month and today realized I am finally (almost) back to 100%. I am so happy about that I wanted to share with anyone who gives a crap - most of the non-running world does not - so I searched for "runner" in the TH&F forum and found this thread.

So for the runners out there, you will get this (and we get that the rest of y'all will not), but I am a 50-60 mpw runner who did something nasty to his obturator muscle(s) about two months ago which has taken forever to heal. (My worst running injury to date.) I admit this has been largely due my own stupidity. For the first few weeks I would not admit to myself that there was anything wrong, so I kept running through the pain because the thought of a day without running was just too terrible. (My normal weekday morning pre-work run was 8 miles @ ~ 7 min/mile; long run on the weekends.) Then one day on an 18-mile run it got really bad - I could hardly walk the next day - and I forced myself to not run for a few weeks. It was terrible and I was cranky / depressed. And scared that I would never be able to run normally again, which is my worst nightmare.

But it gradually got better, once I got the message that I just needed to lay off for a while. Two weeks ago I started doing a couple of miles every couple of days. In the past week the pain has almost gone away. Just did two consecutive days for the first time in about a month and am feeling great! Not quite 100% (still some pain but very slight) but for the first time, I feel that I am almost there and that this whole thing will be behind me shortly.

So happy that I can run again that I just needed to share. (Again, it's a runner thing.)

Happy running to my fellow FT runners!