FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Gem of South America: Peru
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:34 pm
Pondflyer

Seen Machu Picchu today, on to Easter Island!

Let me add my thoughts and tid bits to this report on Peru and Machu Picchu (MP).

I purposely went a bit early to acclimatize in Cusco (Cuzco). I had difficulty but that is because of past history. I found the coca tea which is ubiquitous quite helpful, perhaps psychologically but also because you are also meant to drink more at a higher altitude and really nothing other than water. The tea is soothing and contrary to other discussions it has not a trace of the dreaded derivative, thank goodness. Remember alcohol dehydrates, and stay far away from coffee.

Cuzco is higher (almost 1000m) than Aguas Calientes, so you will feel better after leaving it and dropping down considerably. The little altitude jolt you might or will get in Cuzco will prepare you for the climb up to MP, so that is nice.

Since I did this whole trip a la carte and on my own, the multiple costs and expenses to get to Machu Picchu from Cuzco on were a little irritating. I would recommend getting everything arranged beforehand not only for the comfort it would provide, but you would not incur the silly stuff I went through. For instance some of the trains in the schedule were sold out and I had to improvise and go early and stay overnight in Aguas Calientes. Remember getting to MP is a geographical hurdle. Maybe if you postpone it a few years, you will fly into the new airport the regional government wants to build. It would simplify things but obviously destroy the competition and existing setup. Lastly, you can only buy tickets up and into MP from the assigned Federal Peru office in Aguas Calientes. I think off-season they never turn away people. But I counted several nationalities away from the usual crop, so be prepared that it might get very tight in the future as the whole world shows up.

I roughed it in terms of accommodations, I stayed in hostels and was also prepared for couchsurfing.org; despite some strange mix-ups, e.g. a different outfit came out to meet me at the airport; it was all very pleasant. Peruvians are friendly and pun intended accommodating!

I felt it was not necessary to do the additional climbs up in MP for two reasons, it is difficult and not worth it - if it is to be a cloudy day. It rained today and most of us in and above MP hung around just to get the magical picture when the clouds drifted away (and the sun shone). There are multiple spots around MP for the proverbial Kodak moment, and often no one is in the way. I think my pictures were just as good inside the main compound at MP without rushing off to some other promontory.

NB. or PS. If asked I will post some pictures on my return to prove it all. Now, it is off to Lima and overnight Nov 18, LA 848 to Easter Island (IPC). Note: LAN has a special fare to IPC until April 30, 2013. If you are on their email, they will also inform you about their specials, including the one I benefited from, a so-called ´Thanksgiving sale´; I could take another 15% off, and include flights inside Peru or the rest of South America. Maybe it's the season, but these were good deals, and I assumed that they would best any other option using miles. Although, I would've like to do a trifecta and go to Tahiti too, therefore transiting either way in Hawaii!

Cheers, ciao, and safe flights and a nice time on the ground.