FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Kiva to manufacture spend
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:35 pm
Rommie2k6

Using Kiva to manufacture spend

I've been aware that FTers are using Kiva to manufacture spend or generate points. I have nothing against Kiva personally, nor have I done my due diligence about this company.

However, I would warn all FTers that there is a risk in doing these kind of Kiva spends. Even if some of you have done your due diligence, and find that the company backing Kiva is financially sound and a legitimate operation there is always a possibility that Kiva can close down overnight. I strongly doubt that Kiva or its parent company has any credit rating, so Kiva loans are going to be akin to junk bonds. If a default happens for whatever reason, I would expect that all outstanding "loans" will be something that FTers will not get back, not without a costly and long drawn out litigation... assuming that Kiva is based in the US.

So, while I know many kind folks think that Kiva spends is a win-win scenario for all, I would exercise restraint. If you are churning $10k through Kiva, make sure you can cough up that $10k to pay your CC bills if the need arises.