FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit/Voucher question
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:33 pm
dwoolly

Programs: AA EXP (3.8 mm), HH Diamond
Credit/Voucher question

I had to cancel an expensive family vacation last summer. The tickets were non-refundable, but since I cancelled prior to travel, the amount of the tickets for each of us is now "online credit" under each of our names. I realize that when I use it, there will Be a $150 change fee.

My son will not be traveling again until after this credit has expired. So this is my plan:

Purchase the cheapest Y (fully refundable) ticket I can find, and then let them issue the balance to him in a paper voucher. Then cancel the Y ticket.

So, questions...

If I have $900 credit (less the $150 change fee, resulting in $750 available) then purchase a fully refundable ticket for, say, $200 (AUS/DFW), will they then issue him a $550 paper voucher?

Will they issue a paper voucher for an amount that is greater than the amount of the ticket purchased with the online credit?

And then, if I cancel the $200 refundable ticket, how will they refund it? Cash/check? Online credit? Original form of payment (which was online credit? Original form of payment of the original online credit?

Sorry for such a long and probably confusing post!