FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it safe to go to Israel after Today events?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:04 am
orthar

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I wouldn't spend discretionary time and money visiting a country which is openly antagonising an unpredictable and unstable state such as Iran.

Whatever attractions Israel has, and I'm sure it has many, the risks associated with a visit have clearly increased with the tensions and attacks of the last few days.

Howver, the UK government has issued a formal warning only against travel to Gaza and to the areas of Israel within 40km of the Gaza perimeter (they are careful not to call it a border). The importance of the formal warning is it is sufficient reason to invoke travel insurance protection if we cancel travel. I suggest you check for travel advice with your own government department.

There is an odd, further, warning from the UK: Only hand your passport over to third parties including Israeli officials when absolutely necessary.
I find it curious that you discourage visiting Israel in one post and encourage visiting Egypt in another, where not only are violent and relatively central demonstrations commonplace, but also foreign journalists are sexually assaulted and embassies are attacked.

To the OP, I recommend to stay out of the 40km zone (which you most probably would have done anyway). FWIW, day to day life in the rest of Israel is more or less undisturbed. Have a good time!