FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it safe to go to Israel after Today events?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:17 pm
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by eloraculo
I am scheduled to fly to TLV on Saturday with two kids. We are/were planning to do Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Dead Sea. After Today events, in Gaza, is it a good idea to still go? How safe is it? We are just tourist without any connection to Israel.
I wouldn't spend discretionary time and money visiting a country which is openly antagonising an unpredictable and unstable state such as Iran.

Whatever attractions Israel has, and I'm sure it has many, the risks associated with a visit have clearly increased with the tensions and attacks of the last few days.

Howver, the UK government has issued a formal warning only against travel to Gaza and to the areas of Israel within 40km of the Gaza perimeter (they are careful not to call it a border). The importance of the formal warning is it is sufficient reason to invoke travel insurance protection if we cancel travel. I suggest you check for travel advice with your own government department.

There is an odd, further, warning from the UK: Only hand your passport over to third parties including Israeli officials when absolutely necessary.