FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin back to a 4 star Skytrax airline
View Single Post
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:22 pm
Nottingham Nick
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
It's an interesting debate. Online review sites have become massively influential - Tripadvisor for example, BUT can they ever be considered impartial?

I assume there will always be people who dislike a brand and give it unjustifiably harsh reviews, and also Fanboyz who big a brand up because they have a desire to make it look better than its rivals. There will be businesses who put in bad reviews of their rivals and there will be those who put in good reviews of their own company.

Possibly worse than that is a site that fawns over a brand because they spend money advertising on the site. I don't think it will ever be possible to stop that.

Personally, I like Tripadvisor and am hugely influenced by it, I also make the effort to put in balanced reviews of places I stay or visit. I do however take some reviews with a pinch of salt. I have never been a fan of Skytrax and this ruling did nothing to make me change my mind.

Back on thread - I think that just about all of my 100+ flights on VS, over MANY years, have left me believing that they are a 4* airline, but some of the things I have read on here and other sites about when VS are bad would prevent me from arguing with those who say otherwise. It is ALL down to your own personal experience.

Nick