View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:38 am
anabolism

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by dcman2 View Post
I'm working on a fairly complicated itinerary for a family vacation next year. It involves travel across the US, to Asia, and to Hawaii, but isn't particularly "easy" and doesn't fit clearly into the round-trip routes that come up on Expertflyer. It involves a fairly big round trip, with stopovers of several days in several cities along the way. In general, should I be looking at doing a series of one-way trips or should I try to jerry-rig a round-trip with stopovers and extra flights on the side (for side trips)?
You may be trying to use EF prematurely. Personally, I use other tools to figure out some basic strategies (e.g., round-trip vs around-the-world vs multi-city, basic routing, airlines, etc.) then turn to EF to get info on specific flights and fares.

Do you care about airlines, alliances, etc.? If so, I'd start there. If not, start with IATA as suggested. Figure out if you want a multi-city (which is usually a round-trip with stop-offs) or something else. Are you looking for coach, business, or first? With more expensive fares, one-ways may be workable, and sometimes even with coach you can combine different one-ways into a round-trip for fare calculation.

You may be better off employing an experienced travel agent.

Originally Posted by dcman2 View Post
No matter what I try, the fares I find are more than what come up on Orbitz, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I just cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on.
Can you see the specific fare codes on Orbitz?