FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Executive Lounge Access" thread
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:54 am
travelinfoo

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by emptiness
how and when you get the Executive Floor upgrade? at check in or have to call the hotel first and ask?

lounge access for gold member means free drinks and snacks each day?
You are NOT guaranteed an Executive upgrade, whether you call ahead or ask or not. As with all upgrades, it is based on availability. Those who pay for the Executive room get it before complimentary Diamond who gets it before Gold. Also the Gold upgrade is NOT the Executive room. It is only an upgrade from your booked room which may include an enhanced room which MAY BE an Executive room but more frequently a corner room, room on higher level, room with a view, room with bathrobe & slippers, etc. The chance of getting a ER as a Gold has greatly diminished nowadays.

Diamonds get EL access regardless of ER upgrade. Golds ONLY get EL access if they have an ER.

Since the new upgrade rules have been in place, I've noticed that the my upgrades (as Diamond) have diminished. I actually got more suites before they became an official benefit and much better rooms. Recently (past 9 months), most hotels are sticking to the letter of the policy and giving me a one level upgrade (if at all) or an enhanced room, even when the hotel was not very busy and even at hotels I visit 2-3 times (3-7 days per stay) per year for the past 6 yrs. When I asked, I was told that the rooms were taken by ppl who had booked the rooms and other Diamond who arrived before me and so were upgraded before me. As a Diamond, I still got EL access.

I think as a Gold, you should NOT count on getting a ER and EL access if you have booked the lowest level room.

EL quality varies from place to place and continent to continent. The European and Asian EL seems to be far superior to the US ELs IME. The US rarely have any alcohol. The couple that did were fee-based. Snacks also vary. Overseas, usually hot hors-d'oevres; US: bar counter food (nuts, pretzels, chips, etc).

As been stated multiple times in this forum, if you REALLY want an ER (and EL access), BOOK IT!

Last edited by travelinfoo; Nov 3, 2012 at 7:59 am