FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:11 am
lbotez

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I am declaring this deal already dead. To me it is only interesting to load up using Vanilla cards from Office Depot. I can get all the grocery and drugstore spend I want using the less saturated reloadit cards. The death of this deal is the supply of Vanilla cards at OD. I got wind from a friend that one OD in RDU had some and they bought two on Wednesday. I went to the same store this morning and the pleasant lady at customer service told me someone came in and bought all the rest and they have no immediate plans to restock. All the other branches are out. It's only a matter of short-time before this is replicated everywhere. No matter how deep in the country you think you are - Chatannooga, Kansas, Boisie, your OD is going to run out and the game is over. In fact there is a good chance IMHO OD just make corporate policy to stop stocking them. Sure you can chase gas stations and the like but as I say plenty of other less trodden paths to the same spend there.

This one died before it even started.

The cards will be restocked eventually. Plus I can't see Amex tying themselves to only the vanilla reload cards.

Also, 1% is better than nothing, and not everyone wants this for the 4% more from ink cards.

The simpliest thing for Chase to do is just drop the reload cards/gift cards from their bonuses.