FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:53 pm
nwflyboy

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
...i went to OD for some bean hunting. Only four left on the rack, uh oh. Grabbed three, walked up, they had to call over a manager. I had my ID out ready, knowing they would ask for it. I started chatting up the manager about it, she said they are having to check a lot of things to see who is buying them. I made the comment that I understood as there is probably a lot of credit card fraud with buying these. She then goes on to say it really has nothing to do with OD, but with the bean company themselves. They are now required to have a manager double check the information and ID. She said in about 30 mins after the purchase i'm making, she will get a call from the company asking if a manager verified the information and compared ID to credit card. She said it was pretty crazy how far they were going, but she did say they sell a lot of them....
As luck would have it, I visited an OD today and noticed they had some of these sought-after cards. So I took one to the register, handed it to the cashier and said I wanted to put $500 on it. He punched his buttons, told me to swipe my credit card, I did, signed electronically, he thanked me and that was it. He never even looked at my credit card, never mind my ID - manager's approval? No way. Heck, buying $5 worth of light bulbs at Lowes they make you show your credit card and ID. Not at the OD I was in today, at least not with that cashier, for me.

I'm reading all sorts of different experiences that people are having with this. I think the acronym YMMV has never been more true.