FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:13 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by yamaka
She didn't scan my pass, just directed me to the elite line, so she must have decided I didn't look precheck worthy. Now that I know how it works, I will ask to get my BP scanned. Thanks for the answer.
At some airports, like IAD, they have an entirely separate PreCheck checkpoint, so it's assumed that by walking up there, you qualify for PreCheck. If they scan you and you don't have it, they'll direct you over to the regular checkpoint.

At other airports, like the United terminal at ORD, the PreCheck and elite lanes are next to each other, and there's a BP scanner at the entrance to the security line. A contract agent will check, and if you get the triple beep, you'll be directed to the PreCheck lane; if you don't, you'll be directed to the adjacent regular elite security lane. Either way, your BP will be scanned again at the podium by an actual TSA agent.

At yet other airports, like DCA the last time I was there, the contract BP checker doesn't have a scanner and so doesn't have a way to tell if you're PreCheck. Thus, you'll be directed to the regular elite line unless you specifically ask. At DCA, I always say, "PreCheck?" when I approach the BP checker, who then lifts the rope and allows me to proceed into the PreCheck lane. TSA then scans it, and if you don't qualify, they'll send you back over to the regular lane.