FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:52 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by yamaka
I scanned read through most of this thread and still can't find the answer to my question. I usually fly out of small airports without precheck lines, so never used it, even though I have a Nexus number (PassID). I flew out of SLC on Sunday and after checking my BP the TSA agent directed me to the regular Elite line rather than the pre-check line. No big deal but I was wondering if I am not eligible because I was on the same PNR as two people who don't qualify for precheck.

Am I right that the rule is still that you don't know if you get precheck until you give your BP to the TSA agent -- and how do they know?

Thanks
The "rule" is that you don't know if you get precheck until the TSA agent scans your boarding pass. If the agent didn't scan your pass, then you were potentially misdirected to the regular lane. The agent needs to scan your pass, and if you get the triple beep, then you're good, and if you get the single beep, then they can direct you to the non-PreCheck lane.

I don't think being on the same PNR has anything to do with it.

There are ways around the "rule," though, to see if you have PreCheck enabled. I'm not sure if it's been discussed in this thread, but it has been talked about in the corresponding United PreCheck thread.