Old Oct 23, 12, 4:38 pm
PhilFPLAXGM
Company Representative - Four Points by Sheraton LAX

We had a rookie reservation agent loading rates and she made a mistake and posted a $10 rate. I know some of you are now kicking yourselves for missing it. We rectified it quickly, but had about 50 reservations booked at that rate. I asked Maria to send an email out letting essentially our best customers know that it was a mistake and we would like to offer a $69 rate for those reservations. Here is a response that I received directly. I know I'm being probably too transparent but that's been my approach here and so far its worked pretty well.

"Mr Baxter, why have you let loose your Revenue Management team with a jaw-dropping note saying ".... too low for the hotel to honor."?

Ms ________ hasn't had the courtesy to respond to our requests for a further explanation or alternative and I'm hoping you could please do me the courtesy of responding."

Here was my response:

"Hi ________,

We had a new agent loading rates and she made a mistake and loaded a $10.00 rate that was up for a few hours. I think it’s pretty obvious that it was a mistake given that our variable cost per room is over $40.00. Our intention wasn’t to issue a jaw dropping note, it was simply to offer a great (and fair) discounted rate to those of you that were quick on the draw and booked it.

It seems to me that given our track record of offering great value that this is a fair arrangement. But, I understand that you guys are our customers. I’d be curious what your thoughts are.

We appreciate your business!"

At the risk of opening Pandora's Box I'm interested in how you would handle it in my shoes?

As always, I appreciate your business and your feedback!

Phil GM