FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury Hotels In New York
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:11 pm
vincentb89

Originally Posted by trojanman
Planning a family visit sometime in January / February 2013 and need help. Last time I was in NYC was 8 years ago and I suspect a lot has changed with the hotel scene.

We're seeking a place located anywhere from about 42nd street north (ie. not downtown). Should have inspired rooms (ie. not your standard Marriott), should be family friendly (as we will have 2 year old with us), and should epitomize the very best that New York has to offer.

Because we are visiting during a cold/snowy period, special touches like fireplaces in the rooms, heated bathroom floors, hot chocolate in the lobby, etc... would be appreciated but not required.

I have Ritz Carlton (Marriott) Platinum, SPG Gold, and my wife qualifies for ABA discount rates.

I know some of the favorites discussed here and on other luxury travel sites (ie. Andrew Harper, Kiwi Collection) seem to include Lowell, Mark, Four Seasons, St. Regis, RC Central Park, etc... but none of those options seem to offer "special" looking rooms until you get well into the $2000+ per night suite categories. Please convince me otherwise if you disagree.

Which of these properties offers the best luxury value proposition for under $800 per night?

Is Chatwal any good since SPG took over?

Sorry for the long-winded question(s)!
Lowell has rooms with fireplace (lowell king, only 1 with fireplace in the specific room category so you would have to specify that to reservations).
Hardware is really good, service is attentive but you don't have a lot of things to do in-house (small lobby) and the crowd is traditional borderline "too old" for me