FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting tidbits from AFGE newsletters
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:22 am
halls120
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gsoltso
There are tons of folks that read the site that are not on FT, and I have commented the same as I do here, although I am much less of a commenter now than I used to be. I have other responsibilities to take care of with the blog at this point, and that limits my commment time. I too disagree with much of what is posted there by both sides of many subjects, and feel that some of the posts by self proclaimed TSOs are not what should be posted by TSOs, in actuality, they represent what TSOs should be against. There is good information at the blog, if you can look past the negative posts, the childish posts and the attitude that is existent in many of the posts (on both sides), you can discover plenty of information that you may not have known.
While I commend you for trying to do the right thing, the TSA Blog is nothing more than a massive government propganda organ, and I refuse to spend time there.

Originally Posted by gsoltso
The crappy attitude, the rudeness and unprofessional behavior should never exist in the first place. I hear many statements that (from other TSOs mind you) I just don't understand the pressure or environment that exists in larger airports, and I respond with something akin to "that is a crock". Even in a challenging situation a TSO should be professional and courteous at the bare minimum, there is no reason to yell in a checkpoint unless there is a safety situation that requires it (such as "look out!", etc). I have had people that were cursing and abusive and downright nasty, the entire time I spoke in even tones, and in a polite and professional manner, then escalated it up the chain if need be. To quote Yoda, "there is no try, either do, or do not", and there is simply no excuse for being unprofessional. It seems that there is some life coming out of OPR right now, and they are beginning to crack down on the right areas at this point. I personally would like to see them move a bit faster in their operations, but the office is still new, and Halinski is moving that group forward in a positive direction (see Newark this past week). My true desire is to see all of the thugs, knuckleheads and unprofessional workforce members removed, permanently from the workforce, so we do not have to worry about them popping back up in the system somewhere else - where they can be unprofessional for another section of the nation in some other format (other civil servant positions). I know I am but one voice, but I have been consistent in my voicing the fact that being unprofessional should never be acceptable.
I really do you think you are in the minority, because your leadership takes the exact opposite approach, actually fostering the unprofessionalism that rightly object to.