FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any Travel Tips for Women?
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:43 am
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travellerGo
If you are traveling alone (first time in the place) and a man comes up and asks if it is your first time in that place, say, "NO" and tell him that you've visited the place several time then walk away
Why even address him? Just walk away.

Originally Posted by carole_d
Trust you gut (or the hair on the back of your neck.)

Last winter I was in Sofia, Bulgaria. One day when I came back to the hotel after work, two men were waiting near the elevators when I walked up. They quickly jumped into the elevator after me and didn't press a floor button. I immediately hit the button for the first floor, where the Executive Lounge is located. I went into the lounge, got a soda and read my Kindle for about 20 minutes. When I came out, the guys were nowhere to be seen.
Indeed, trust your instincts. Did you have time to just walk out of the elevator before the doors closed? I've done that; when I've felt uncomfortable on an elevator especially when someone gets in and doesn't press a button, I get out immediately. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Other advice:

1. Pack lightly so you can be self sufficient.
2. Never get in an empty or nearly empty subway car. Go where the crowds are.
3. Wear your purse across your body. Smaller strapped purses can easily be stolen.
4. Make sure your purse is closed while you are out and about. So many women leave their purses open.
5. This has been said before, but when you check in, make sure the front desk doesn't announce your room number but instead writes it down for you.
6. Don't walk and text.
7. Have fun!!!