FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this new? On VDBs, agents cannot put you in F for downstream segments?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:48 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Paging channa to point out that this is a classic example of a poorly designed computer system that an agent couldn't figure out how to use leading to a worse customer experience (IDB).

"The system won't let us do that" is almost the canonical sentence sCO agents were known to use to mean "I have not been trained to do this, and although the system and its rules are perfectly compatible with what you want, in order for this flight to leave on time, I need to say no to you and IDB someone."

Yes. They can most definitely do it, but the culture of fear and intimidation that pervades the new UA prevents people from doing the right thing. I think they call this "dignity and respect" or something. Anyhow, the system is just the convenient excuse, because it's so bad, it's plausible to the customer.

It's also possible the GA would have done it had they realized your status.

I had one recently where the GA refused to put me in F on a VDB, and instead proposed a 3-segment itin for a 1-segment bump. I countered with a 2-segment itin in F, and he said he couldn't do F. I said that was surprising, because they've done it before. He said he can't. I said that I was surprised he couldn't do it, since I'd probably get F anyway as 1K.

Then he realized I was a 1K and had no problem doing it. Remember the 1K notation is miniscule on the cluttered CO BP, and their systems don't highlight status readily making it difficult to recognize customers (unless they use the new software which seems to have take-up issues due to some limitations and usability concerns).